Dental implants are a permanent option for tooth replacement to give you full function and confidence in replacing one or more missing teeth. While there are other options to replace missing teeth, dental implants are a newer and more durable technology where it can be impossible to distinguish the implant from your natural teeth.
Implants are usually made of titanium or titanium alloy and resemble cylindrical posts or frames that are surgically placed into your jawbone by your dentist. Once implanted, they act as a substitute for your natural tooth roots and allow your dentist to mount replacement teeth onto them. Each implant is placed into the location of the missing tooth and allowed to fuse with the bone over a few months to provide a sturdy framework for artificial teeth. During this time, your dentist will likely provide you with a temporary crown or denture to wear. Once the implant has fused with the bone, your dentist will remove the temporary crown or denture and can permanently fix a crown, bridge or denture in place via an internal screw on the implant. A huge advantage for implants is that they do not require adjacent teeth to be prepared or reduced to hold replacement teeth in place (unlike bridges). They are also useful for patients who cannot tolerate ordinary dentures or bridges due to sore spots, gagging or lack of adjacent supporting teeth.
Dental implants have the following benefits:
- secure and permanent so you don’t have to worry about them slipping out;
- convenient as they do not interfere with your lifestyle or require extra maintenance for removal and cleaning;
- allow regained confidence in your smile and normal function when chewing and speaking;
- more comfortable as they look and feel like your own healthy teeth;
- more durable than other tooth replacement methods as they can be expected to last the long haul with proper oral hygiene;
- natural looking and virtually indistinguishable from your natural teeth.
There are a variety of different implant systems available however not all patients with missing teeth will be good candidates for dental implants.
Here at Maudsland Dental Care, we work closely with a team of specialists to provide highly successful implant treatments. You can be sure that your treatment is being provided by the most qualified team of specialists who are dedicated to your care.